Introduction

Friday, September 10, 2010

Hello!

My name is Lindsay Brown.  I entered this class because I'm more comfortable in an online setting and I needed three more credits after dropping another class.  I was actually intending to take this class originally, but my roommate and I signed up for a different one (how nice it would have been to not have to catch up with all this!).  I'm technically a sophomore, though I've been in college for three years.  I started at NWTC, transferred to UW-Platteville, and then transferred here last year.  I was a biology major, but changed it to English.  I'm no good with introductions about myself, so I will just go down the list of what is posted on the main blog.

Three interesting things about myself:
-I'm very interested in all things paranormal
-My phone is always attached to my hip
-I love video games with a passion

Favorite novel:
My favorite novel would be An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.  I love all his books, but this one stands above the rest, in my opinion.  I love John Green's writing style.  I also love all of Ellen Hopkins' books.  She writes about very real issues that people deal with but sometimes get swept under the rug.
What books am I drawn to:
I like all books, I don't really discriminate.

Expectations of a novel:
When I open a book, I want it to take me to a different place.  Put me in someone's shoes, and make me live their experiences.  Experiences that I may not have had the chance to be part of.  

How online Lit classes differ:
I'm tremendously shy, so I have problems speaking in front of a large group of people.  I think online English classes work better for me because while they still have that element of discussion, it's text based and I don't have to stand up in front of people.

Online communities I belong to:
-Facebook
-Gaia Online
-Myspace
-Youtube
-Twitter

Experience with online communication:
It has been very positive for me, since I'm very shy (as I stated before).  I've meet a lot of amazing people from all over the world and am happy to have them in my life.

Picture:
Japan:
I love the style, I love the culture.
I love the horror movies and horror video games that come out of Japan.
And I love the sushi.

I've met a lot of amazing people here.
Also, I love dressing up my little avatar!

Elizabeth Bathory.
I'm not sure if you could strictly call her a vampire, but she is included in my copy of The Vampire Encyclopedia.
She was a countess in 14th-15th century, and her nickname was The Blood Countess.
It is said she used to bathe in the blood of young virgin girls to retain her youth.  She would take girls from lesser families and bring them to her castle to be maids, but really would torture them until death.  She was finally caught because she grew bold and kidnapped a girl of noble birth.
Her victim count is anywhere from 80-600 girls.
She was also depicted in the movie Stay Alive, where she tries to kill the players of a video game.



















1 comments:

Emily Zettle said...

Hello friend. Elizabeth Bathory has always fascinated me. Her story is terrible but I feel drawn to it because it is just so out of the ordinary. I believe you could call her a vampire, just not one that we are used to seeing in the movies and novels now-a-days. She did steal the life from others in order to maintain her own beauty and perfection after all. And with a name like "The Blood Countess" how can you not think of vampires?

Post a Comment